Apr 17, 2014

Another case of network-manager not starting on boot on Ubuntu

I think it is the second time I encounter this problem. I mess around with my operating systems a lot. After backup and restore using rsync -avz, network-manager won't start on boot. I've search anywhere and none have the solution for me. So after getting a hint from Ubuntu bug "Waiting for network configuration" on every boot, I found out there is a log for upstart. So ...

$ sudo grep network /var/log/upstart/*.log

and found an interesting entry:

/var/log/upstart/network-interface-lo.log:/etc/network/if-up.d/upstart: 9: /etc/network/if-up.d/upstart: init_is_upstart: not found

and google the error:

init_is_upstart warnings if upstart installed but not running

note this entry from the bug report:


Package: lsb-base
Version: 4.1+Debian7
Severity: normal
File: /lib/lsb/init-functions 

Now the fist time I try to look for it, init_is_upstart was not there:

$ grep -R init_is_upstart /lib/lsb/init-functions

I look for the package that gives that file:

$ apt-file find init-functions
lsb-base: /lib/lsb/init-functions
lsb-base: /lib/lsb/init-functions.d/20-left-info-blocks
lsb-base: /lib/lsb/init-functions.d/50-ubuntu-logging
ufw: /lib/ufw/ufw-init-functions
 

Reinstall the package:

$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall lsb-base
 
And got it back:

 
$ grep -R init_is_upstart /lib/lsb/init-functions
init_is_upstart()


The only thing missing from backup restore using rsync -avz. Don't know why, I am just glad the restore works ...
Post a Comment